Tuesday, February 12, 2008

All things considered, in drag

Snow, snow everywhere. Two parter too!

Im a straight guy and I DJ in a gay bar. Gay in the sense that the owners are gay, the place is gay friendly; but its not like every cliche you see running through every television show. Most of the time, the patrons are straight. On most nights, we run at a 80/20 straight split. Get the pun... haha.

Im not trying to make any political statement here. My blog is about bars, drinking, and the atmosphere created down here, but i have always felt that this needed to be addressed. I think having a gay bar in a pretty conservative town is a good thing that probably gets people to get out of their 70s laden stereotypes.

Everynight that I work, I dont see gay, lesbian or straight. When Im in the booth, its people dancing and having fun and thats what makes this job worth it. There is a lineage of bars downtown and there has always been a place in town for everyone who wants a piece.

I consider myself lucky to be a part of this.

I brought this whole spiel up because we are hosting a regional competiton for the Miss Gay Missouri. The club actually supports two competitions, which sends winners to the state competition on their way to the national competition. Its men, dressed in womens clothing, who perform dance numbers.

Only in St Joseph eh? This thursday night will see the crowning of a new Miss Gay Northwest.

No comments: